Next Start Date:
Monday September 20, 2021
Download the TIPT Pharmaceutical Research & Development digital brochure to learn more about the program, course syllabus, and career options.
The Pharmaceutical Research & Development diploma is a program that teaches the theoretical knowledge needed to assist in the development and creation of innovative drug products. Students will get to experience these processes as they complete practical projects in TIPT’s industry standard GMP facility.
The innovative development of pharmaceutical drugs is a unique process which requires the expertise of highly trained professionals. The Pharmaceutical Research & Development program prepares students to ensure this process is completed to the highest possible standard across the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, medical device, food, cosmetics, and other life-science industries.
In just over one year, you can gain the specialized knowledge and practical skills for a lucrative and rewarding career in the pharmaceutical research & development industry. Not only will you learn the theoretical knowledge needed to work in pharmaceutical research and drug development, but you will get to put these ideas into practice in TIPT’s GMP-approved pilot plant.
- Training in innovative drug development techniques
- Training in Health Canada approved GMP Facility
- Small class size optimizing professor interaction
- Industry relevant training
- High employment placement
- High entry level salary
The foundation module is designed to provide students with an in-depth knowledge of applied pharmaceutical sciences, biopharmaceutics, pharmacokinetics and regulatory affairs. Novel concepts in leading edge industrial pharmaceutical research, applied statistics and experimental design are a major component of the module.
The core module focuses on practical training in pharmaceutical experimental design, formulation technology and manufacturing techniques. Hands-on experience is acquired through team-based projects in compliance with GMP and GLP, in our state-of-the-art research laboratories and manufacturing plant. Analytical techniques, problem solving, protocol, and technical writing skills are acquired throughout the module.
The advanced module provides an opportunity to engage in independent drug development and research projects. The focus is on drug delivery, dosage form design, process development, and scale-up technology.
Pharmaceutical Research Themes
The R&D program exposes students to pharmaceutical formulation development with an emphasis on the following research themes:
- Pharmacology project: Pharmaceutical Expert research report
- Pre-formulation & Compatibility Studies
- Compression Technology: scientific basis for excipient selection
- Predictive DOE for Immediate release solid dosage formulation
- Granulation process development
- DOE for Generic drug development
- Development of Controlled Release Formulation
- Formulation Scale-up Study
Examination & Continuous Assessment
Written, oral, and practical examinations are mandatory at the end of the foundation and core modules. In the advanced module, assessment is based on dissertation and viva-voce. In addition, the overall grade is also based on continuous assessments encompassing GMP and GLP compliance, pharmaceutical documentation skills and interim quizzes.
The Pharmaceutical Research & Development Technology Diploma is awarded upon successful completion of all three modules.
Work of exceptional quality may be considered for publication in pharmaceutical-oriented journals.
Students who are at the final stages of their program and have excelled in all aspects of their training may apply for an internship. These opportunities allow selected students to gain additional experience through working with staff and faculty on one of the many unique projects undertaken at the Institute.
International students are required to undertake a six-month co-op internship to complete their program. Students intern through commercial project assignments and placements at world-class pharmaceutical companies such as Sanofi-Aventis, GSK, Patheon, Therapure, PharmaScience and others.
A unique and highly successful aspect of our program is the didactic component that all students receive industry standard ‘work experience’ in our own GMP facility. Throughout the program, various practical projects expose the student to pharmaceutical industry standard equipment and instrumentation and lets students apply their skills and knowledge in a real-world work setting.
International students also complete a 12 week co-op internship as part of their program completion and graduation requirements.
- Bachelor of Science degree – majoring in Biological, Applied or Health Science, Chemistry, Pharmacy, some areas in Life Sciences, or a related field
- Internationally-educated individuals must have the equivalent of a Canadian Bachelor of Science degree, and have their qualifications evaluated by one of the following:
- Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission to the program
Discover the fee breakdown for Pharmaceutical Research & Development and how it translates into an investment into your career with our Pros vs. Costs overview.
Financial aid may available for those who qualify. Learn about OSAP & financing.
Students can complete this program with the following scheduling options:
- Full-time: weekly daytime classes, completed in 52 weeks.
- Flex: full-time classes on evenings & weekends, completed in 52 weeks.
- Flex+: part-time classes over a longer duration.
From the Classroom to your Career
The career paths of our graduates lead them to high-paying jobs in various industries including pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, biotechnology, advanced-drug delivery, medical devices, food, cosmetics, natural product, nutraceutical and other life science industries.
Graduates of this program secure employment in positions such as a:
- Formulation Technologist
- Formulation Chemist
- Product Development Scientist
- Drug Research Scientist
- Process Development Technician
- Analytical Research & Development Technician
- Technical Writer